In The Beginning...
Dakota Western Bank originally was chartered in 1910 as Farmers State Bank of Buffalo Springs. In 1922, that charter was moved to Rhame and the name changed to The Bank of Rhame. From a total of fourteen banks operating between Gascoyne and Marmarth, the Bank of Rhame was only one of two that survived. The Bank of Rhame moved the charter to Bowman, was renamed Dakota Western Bank, and opened the new bank building on November 15, 1976.
The bank maintains a paying and receiving station in the Cenex building at Rhame.
As of November 1, 1996, Dakota Western Bank opened a new branch in Scranton, ND, operating out of temporary facilities. The new bank building in Scranton opened to customers on March 17, 1997. An addition, in 2013, doubled the size of the original building.
West River State Bank of Hettinger, ND was purchased on July 13, 2000. The two companies merged effective March 8, 2001. A major renovation of the Hettinger Branch was completed in 2008.
On April 1, 2002, after extensive renovation of the “Bennett Drug Building” in Bowman, the Loan Department moved to the North Branch. The Operations Department remains at the original building, the South Branch, where the interior was completely updated in 2006.
Also, Dakota Western Bank is affiliated with Dakota Western Insurance with offices in Bowman and Scranton.